Monday 31 October 2011

The winter coat. Dos and Donts

Buying a winter coat in my mind is a challenge every single year. 


The coat has to last you all winter and are often so expensive that you can only really have one.


For some reason fashion seems to come to a stand still when it comes to coats. Perhaps the really cool fashionistas of this world don't wear coats so the designers don't bother with the effort?


The limited options that I see over and over again are as follows:
Number 1. The puffer jacket.






I mean who in their right mind would want to wear a puffer jacket?! I don't think I need to say anymore than that.


Number 2. The duffle coat.






As nice as they are, they remind me of private school girls with socks over their knees and their hair in exaggerated side partings.


Number 3. A Jane Norman (went bust because the clothes were so horrible) style breast coat with some kind of belt around the middle...



..Which just screams that you are straight laced and boring.

Or you could go for a disastrous mix of the puffer and the duffle! Well done to ASOS for this car crash of a coat.






They have even made it shiny pvc material for extra disgustingness.

So where does that leave us?


Well luckily for you I have found two absolutely gorgeous alternatives, hats off to Pepe Jeans and Lipsy for finally coming up with something worth buying.
The Pepe is gorgeous suede, fits perfectly and looks luscious, trendy, expensive and warm.




Or the faux fur coat. This in itself opens up a whole new debate, some will love the fur others will hate it (my boyfriend wont be seen with me when I wear my leopard print variety) but I personally love this one. 
It is adaptable enough to wear dressed up on a night out and cool enough to wear during the day with flats or boots and a chunky scarf.




But what do you lot think? Have I totally offended you all or do you agree with my choices?


Post your comments below. I cant do this without you!


Follow me on twitter @HowYouWearYours

4 comments:

  1. Finally a fashion blog related to the real world! I am sick of reading about clothes that I cannot afford and I am even more sick of wearing rubbish coats!! Thanks for the inspiration! Think I might get myself a little Pepe number.
    Oh I also like the quilted jackets at the moment, what do you think of them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have both a fake faux and a duffle coat for this winter. I love my duffle, mainly because it is navy though. I think it looks timeless though, and goes with everything (plus it os comfy&warm, always a bonus).

    I love my new fake faux (was tempted to go for the real thing). It is warm and fashionable.

    Coats are tricky though, as limited styles means you look like everyone else.

    FloMo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dont like the quilted jackets for two reasons, the first being my boss at work has one and likes to think he is as cool as a member of one direction in it. Secondly because i live in the country and EVERYONE wears them down here and all those people are posh! Yar.

    I would also like to see a pic of Flomo's fur coat when its on please can you post one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Blog, you're so right about the Pepe Jeans and Lipsy look... Fabulous!

    Would love to be involved with your Blog sometime if you thought I could add something... x

    ReplyDelete